EN

it

nl

brickyard 'elden'

master graduation project

During the 1900s the landscape and the skyline along the river Nederrijn in Arnhem was drastically transformed due to the intensive clay extraction of the brick industry. Brickworks ‘Elden’ started its production in 1928, its flame oven produced clinker bricks for infrastructure. Due to mechanization and reorganization of the industry sector, brickworks 'Elden' was closed in 1992, leaving behind the main oven building and a drastically changed landscape.

The renovation design of brickworks Elden consisted in its transformation into a hotel with restaurant. The entrance to the hotel opens up to the former smoke corridor with openings to the guest rooms. The roof has been opened to provide the spaces with enough daylight. The first floor is divided into two: a restaurant on the river side and the other functions of the hotel on opposite side. The restaurant has an open floor plan, mixing the kitchen with the tables. On one end the roofing has been removed to expose the wooden construction to the exterior, thus creating a terrace.

The underlying attitude was to design transformations to the old factory to allow the new function of hotel, without losing the brick industry typology. Characteristic aspects of this industry, such as the spaces and the mass, the chimney, the smoke corridor and the tunnel ovens were inspiration for the new design of the hotel.  The modifications done to the building can be recognized as a new layer of history of the building. Elements were not added to the oven building, rather removed, as the beginning of a deconstruction in time.

 

 

 

Fotos of brickyard 'Elden' retrieved from >>

Continue reading about the landscape >>

Nominated for: Archiprix Nederland 2017 >>

View the complete master thesis >>

© Steffie de Gaetano 2016